2014 Alzheimer's Concussion Awareness Summit NYC
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Eastern Time)
United Nations Headquarters
New York, New York 10017
During Super Bowl Week
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Registration: 7:00 am
Summit: 8:00 am
Lunch Keynote: 12:00pm
#C4CT Reception: 6:00pm
This website was created for the purpose of promoting #C4CT summits held in June 2013 | January 2014 | July 2014. In 2015 a name change announcement was made:
Name Change from #C4CT to #GBHC.
"As of 2015, GBHC, formerly known as the Coalition for Concussion Treatment (#C4CT), was founded in 2012 to bring together key stakeholders and thought leaders from throughout the brain health ecosystem - specific to TBI and other neurological disorders - to disseminate awareness of and ways to promote and improve the most holistic science, technology and education in brain health. By bringing together world class researchers, scientists, industry leaders and policymakers who are actively working towards identifying and developing innovative TBI prevention and treatment opportunities, #GBHC aims to disseminate and apply recommendations that will be used for education, advocacy and improve public policy." Learn more at their website: www.gbhcoalition.com
For anyone who has had to deal with a love one who is suffering from repetitive brain trauma, and other neuro-degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, you can understand the significance of C4CTSummits. I remember when I first learned that my father's condition was the result of a traumatic brain injury (TBI). I had just started work at an e-commerce site that offered all sorts of janitorial supplies. I was learning about their paper towels wholesale products and dispensers. Center-pull paper hand towels, perforated paper towels, multi-fold paper towels, c-fold paper towels, 1-ply brown paper towels, white paper towels, eco-friendly and regular paper towels! Then there were the types of paper towel dispensers. There were going to be hundreds of paper products, let alone thousands of janitorial supplies I was going to have to be come acquainted with. My head was spinning. And then I received a phone call from my mother regarding my father's diagnosis. I believe that what GBHC, formerly known as #C4CT (Coalition for Concussion Treatment) is doing is extremely important.
Recently I discovered that the domain for C4CTSummit.comâ€‹ was available so I bought it with the goal of recreating some of its content from archived pages. I definitely didn't want someone else purchasing the domain and re-purposing the site for something that had nothing in common with the original website. I believe that the information on C4CTSummit.comâ€‹ 's archived pages is still important and should be available for onlineâ€‹ viewing, if for no other reason than for educational and awarenessâ€‹.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PAGE CONTAINS SELECTIVE ARCHIVED CONTENT FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE- specifically, the January 4, 2014 Alzheimer's Concussion Awareness Summit
- Since the site will not be exactly as you remember it, please be indulgent.
In 2015 with the change in its name, the domain registration for C4CTSummit.comâ€‹ was allowed to expire. C4CTSummit.comâ€‹ disappeared from the web.
The 2014 January #C4CT Summit
The Coalition for Concussion Treatment (#C4CT) Concussion Awareness Summit, featured during Super Bowl XLVIII in New York, focused on important scientific, medical, translational and prevention related topics as they pertain to the emerging global issue of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI), particularly on their long-term impacts on athletes and soldiers. All panels included industry experts, leading scientists, neurologists and international business leaders joined by current and former professional athletes.
- Long Term Consequences of Repetitive Brain Trauma: CTE and Neurodegeneration
- Diagnostics and Standard of Care
- World Impact of TBI
- Emerging Diagnostics and Potential Therapies Under Investigation
- Public Policy
- NFL Concussion Settlement Discussion
- Future of Contact Sports Discussion
- Current and Former Professional Athlete Stories and Perspectives
The #C4CT campaign serves as a platform to spread awareness about Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, as well as other severe effects of traumatic brain injury
Through a global campaign uniting, people who are passionate about the cause, #C4CT fosters the critical discussions and partnerships needed to enhance research, treatment efforts and prevention. The overall goal of the coalition is to continue building awareness of key scientific and medical advances in an ongoing effort to identify and develop new TBI treatment opportunities.
The recent advances in concussion research and treatment have been more substantial than any other time in history. Being able to link these findings not only to protect athletes but to all those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s across the globe is a huge step forward for the #C4CT campaign.
— H.E. Ambassador Jack Brewer, CEO of BSI
#C4CT Summit Agenda:
*Agenda and speakers are subject to change*
7:00 - 8:00 am: Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:00 - 8:30 am: Welcome & Opening Keynote Address
Welcome & Opening Keynote Address
- Jack Brewer, CEO of The Brewer Group, Inc.
- Gerald Commissiong, President & CEO of Amarantus BioScience
- General Pete Chiarelli (Ret.), CEO, One Mind for Research8:30 - 10:00 am
8:30 - 10:00 am: Long Term Consequences of Repetitive Brain Trauma: CTE and Neurodegeneration
- Historical Perspectives of CTE: Robert C. Cantu M.A., M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.N.S., F.I.C.S., F.A.C.S.M., Clinical Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Boston University School of Medicine; Medical Director of National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research and Sport Legacy Institute
- (SLI) Initial Athlete Studies: Julian Bailes M.D., Bennett Tarkington Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery at NorthShore University HealthSystem; Co-Director of NorthShore Neurological Institute; Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery at University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- Clinical Presentation and Diagnosis of CTE: What We Think We Know and What We Need to Know Next: Robert Stern Ph.D., Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery at Boston University School of Medicine; Director of the Clinical Core of the NIH-funded BU Alzheimer’s Disease Center; Co-Founder of the Boston University Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy
10:15 - 11:00 am: â€‹Diagnostics & Standard of Care
•Gunnar Brolinson D.O., Associate Professor/Discipline Chair of Sports Medicine at Virginia Tech
•Jay Clugston M.D, MS, CAQSM: Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health & Family Medicine; Assistant Director, Sports Medicine Fellowship; Team Physician - University of Florida
•Andrew Mayer Ph.D., Associate Professor of Translational Neuroscience, The Mind Research Network, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Neurology, University of New Mexico Health Science Center
•Brian Hainline M.D., Chief Medical Officer of the NCAA, Clinical Professor of Neurology at NYU Langone Medical Center
11:00 - 11:15 am: Diagnostics and Standard Care Panelâ€‹
Moderator: Dr. Russell F. Warren, New York Giants Team Physician; Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hospital for Special Surgery; Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College
11:20 - 12:10 pm: World Impact of TBI
•David Lowe Ph.D., President & CEO of Neuro Assets
•Andrew Maas M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Antwerp
•Michael J. Bell M.D., Professor of Critical Care Medicine, Neurological Surgery, Pediatrics; Director, Pediatric Neurocritical Care; Director, Pediatric Neurotrauma Center; Associate Director, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research
12:15 - 2:00 pm: Lunchâ€‹
1:15-1:45 pm:â€‹ Lunch Keynote
- Chris Nowinski, Co- Founder & Executive Director of Sports Legacy Institute; Co-Director for the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University, School of Medicine; Former WWE Wrestler
2:00 - 2:30 pm Emerging Diagnostic Tools and Potential Therapies Under Investigation
- Adam J. Simon Ph.D., Founder and CEO of Cerora, Inc.
- Kim Heidenreich Ph.D., Professor of Pharmacology and Neuroscience, University of Colorado Denver Department of Pharmacology
- Donald Dengel Ph.D, Professor at University of Minnesota
2:30 - 3:00 pmâ€‹ Public Policy Panel - Moderator: Andrea Kremer, Chief Correspondent for Player Health and Safety at the NFL Network
- John Reppas M.D., Ph.D., Director of Public Policy for the Neurotechnology Industry Organization
- Joyce Oberdorf, President and CEO of National Parkinson Foundation
- Howard Fillit M.D., Executive Director of the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation
- Christopher A. Seeger, Seeger Weiss LLP; Plaintiffs' Co-Lead Counsel in NFL Concussion Litigation
3:00 - 3:15 pm: Personal Story
-- Ben Utecht, NFL Super Bowl Champion, Recording Artist, Motivational Speaker and TBI Advocate
3:15 - 3:30 pm: Concussions in College Sports
:30 - 3:45 pm:â€‹ NFL Settlement Discussion
•Christopher A. Seeger, Seeger Weiss LLP; Plaintiffs' Co-Lead Counsel in NFL Concussion Litigation
3:45 pm: Breakâ€‹
4:00 - 4:45 pm:â€‹ Future of Contact Sports Panel - Moderator: Andrea Kremer
- Nicholas J. Conti Ph.D., M.B.A., Corporate Business Development, Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
- Chris Larcheveque, Executive Vice President of Sports and Entertainment, International Specialty Insurance
- Sean Sansiveri, Legal Counsel, NFL Players Association
- Patricio F. Reyes M.D., F.A.A.N., Chief Medical Officer & Board Member of NFL Retired Players Association
- Brian Hainline M.D., Chief Medical Officer of the NCAA
- Dustin Fink M.S., ATC, Athletic Trainer; Blogger - The Concussion Blog
- Brooke de Lench, Executive Director of MomsTEAM Institute, Inc.; Author
Athlete, Agent, Attorney Q&A - Moderator: Andrew Brandt, ESPN
- Leigh Steinberg, CEO of Steinberg Sports and Entertainment
- Christopher A. Seeger, Seeger Weiss LLP; Plaintiffs' Co-Lead Counsel in NFL Concussion Litigation
- Carl Eller, NFL Hall of Famer and President and Chairman of the Board of NFL Retired Players Association
5:00 pm: Athlete Introduction
- Carl Eller,
NFL Hall of Famer and President and Chairman of the Board of NFL Retired Players Association
5:15 - 6:00 pm: â€‹Athlete Personal Stories - Moderator: Andrew Brandt, ESPN
- Adewale Ogunleye, Former NFL Defensive End
- Andre Berto, World Champion Boxer
- Antonio Pierce, ESPN NFL Analyst, Super Bowl Champion, Pro Bowler, Former NFL Linebacker
- Antrel Rolle, Current NY Giants Safety
- Ben Utecht, NFL Super Bowl Champion, Recording Artist, Motivational Speaker, and TBI Advocate
- Brian Williams, Current NFL Cornerback
- Clinton Portis, Pro Bowler, Former NFL Running Back
- Darrell Reid, Current NFL Linebacker
- Drayton Florence, Current Carolina Panthers Cornerback
- E.J. Henderson, Former NFL Linebacker
- Hank Baskett, Former NFL Wide Receiver
- Jeff Cumberland, Current NY Jets Tight End
- Jeremy Shockey, Super Bowl Champion, Pro Bowler, Former NFL Tight End
- Jermichael Finley, Super Bowl Champion, Current Green Bay Packers Tight End
- Jermaine Wiggins, Former NFL Tight End
- Robert Griffith, Pro Bowler, Former NFL Safety
- Sidney Rice, Pro Bowler, Current Seattle Seahawks Wide Receiver
- Steve Weatherford, Super Bowl Champion, Current NFL Player
- Thomas Jones, Former NFL Pro Bowl Running Back and Concussion Awareness Advocate
- Tony Sannah, Former MLS Player
6:00 pm: #C4CT Reception
#C4CT Limited Access RSVP
VIP and Summit Registration is officially closed. Very limited conference access seating in the upper tier for approved students, NGO’s and Biotech companies is available at no cost, while supplies last. This offer excludes access to all meals, the lunch keynote session and the private reception.
To register, please send an RSVP e-mail to: Kristi.Hofacker@TheBrewerGroup.com and include the following required information:
Subject Line: General C4CT RSVP
Full Name Organization and Job Title (if student, indicate student and school)
**RSVP is mandatory by Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 at 12:00pm EST on a first-come, first-served basis and pending approval. Valid ID and proof of affiliation required at the door (i.e. student ID, business card). Approved registrants will be notified via e-mail confirmation.
Partnership Packages are negotiable, and items offered are subject to availability<
The #C4CT Concussion Awareness Summit will bring together leaders and high-level executives from the pharmaceutical, biotech, academic and government communities as well as current and former professional athletes to discuss important scientific, medical, translational, and prevention related topics as they pertain to the emerging global issue of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Unlike a mega-expo where you’re one of many, #C4CT Concussion Awareness Summit offers sponsors and exhibitors direct access to highly qualified, targeted decision makers in an intimate setting.
Spend the day alongside top industry decision-makers
- Build brand awareness
- Share your product/service information
- Position your organization as a leader in the focused field of traumatic brain injury
Brewer Sports International works closely with each sponsor to co-create a distinctive package tailored to individual marketing and business development objectives.